I found out yesterday that my easy way to drain a liquid / water cooling system doesn’t work well for a Thermaltake SR200 Liquid Reservoir. Of course my hand pump will drain the reservoir itself quickly and easily. But with the Thermaltake SR200 the design of the reservoir stops the suction. This means you can’t get the rest of the liquid in the loop to travel to the reservoir. With the Thermaltake ProWater 850i this wasn’t a problem. The hand pump could suck almost all but a very small amount of liquid from the loop.
The other day I started to hear some noise that sounded like one of my hard drives might be about to call it quits. My data storage drive was almost at capacity. So I had purchased a new Western Digital 1.5 TB drive. I’ve been needing to install it for several weeks now. I was waiting until I had extra money to buy some parts for my liquid cooled system. I’m wanting to make a few changes to how the tubing is ran inside the case. I also have one part that was broken the last time I changed the tubing route. The threading stripped and caused a slight leak which I fixed with a temporary patch.
I’m considering a drain valve install to solve the draining problem. That would make things slightly easier than removing tubing at different points in the loop to get the liquid drained. This is exactly what I had to do this time around. Very time consuming. You also have to be very careful not to spill any liquid.
My machine was overdue for a cleaning. No wonder it was starting to make unusual noises. Honestly I didn’t think it had been that long since I gave it a good dusting. Cleaned the case and fans using our Dyson and cotton swabs. Got the new hard drive installed. Ran into an issue with fan noise that ended up creating serious drama. I had moved my Thermaltake radiator slightly so I could now fully close my case door. The radiator is mounted outside of the case. In the past this caused a clearance issue for the door. Long story short the screw threads on the radiator are stripped. So I was having issues getting a fan attached. That problem is sort of resolved now.
After the unexpected surprise of my easy drain method failing with the Thermaltake SR200 Liquid Reservoir. I’m now back up and running. No leaks and temperatures are running where they should for this time of year. I haven’t put my overclock back in place yet. I’m currently running at stock speed for my processor. My liquid cooling adventure has been a learning process. I’ll continue to tweak things as money becomes available.
You can see what my setup use to look like by using the link below.